Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A change for the seasons

I have always wanted a red door on my house, being in a rental I don't really have the option for that right now.  So I came up with a bright red wreath.  It looked wonderful as is at Christmas time, and for Spring I changed it out a bit. 

I love this cherry fabric and the bird from the Spool pattern looked so sweet hanging in the middle.  Now with all of our patriotic holidays coming up I thought I should change it out once again.  This will likely stay up through Labor Day when I switch it out for the fall. 

To do this I sewed up a long strip of navy fabric that is looped through the wreath from.  The wreath is hung on the door with two thumbtacks hidden under the back ribbon.  Tie a big bow at the top and that part is complete.  To add the flag I found a pack of small flags in the dollar section of Target.  I took one of the flags and a small piece of thin red ribbon and tied it to wreath.  When I want to change it out I can just cut off the ribbon and the wreath will still look the same. 

The actual wreath is made up of a 12" circular wreath form that I wrapped first in strips of muslin.  Then I covered it using appoximately 350 three inch squares.  I took the squares and centered them over the eraser end of a pencil, put a dab of hot glue on the end and stuck it to the wreath form.  You repeat that process over and over folding the piece up that you previously laid down.  Eventually it sort of all fills out, with the squares all up and only the small dap of glue touching the form.  My wreath is not covered on the back, because I knew it wouldn't show.  If you had a glass door though I would cover the entire form.  It takes a while, I think I watched a movie or two while making it.


Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment